UK: Homeless On The Streets Of London


In “mega” cities many people are unaware of the situation of their fellow citizens because they are somewhat hidden and live separate lives. However, now is the time to become more socially conscious and help tackle these issues contributing to society and its needs.

On the 20th of June 2011 I voluntarily decided to leave the comfort and safety of my home and live on the streets of London homeless for one night. In the days prior to the night I felt insecure wondering what I will encounter in one of the most vibrant, dangerous and wealthy cities in the world. This anxiety was natural and did not pass throughout the night as I was lying lonely on Oxford Street in Central London. To make this experience as real as possible I did not carry any money or food and slept in an old sleeping bag during the freezing night.

I documented the ordeal on a portable camera and made a video diary which I could show to the world. However, the full emotional rollercoaster I went through could not be captured in my video diary and can only be appreciated by those who experience homelessness first-hand.

In New York it may seem farfetched to think that in one of the financial capitals of the world there are more than 40,000 people including 16,000 children experiencing homelessness each night. Each year more than 113,000 different New Yorkers, including nearly 43,000 children sleep in the municipal shelter system. The number of homeless families in NYC has doubled over the past decade. These alarming statistics forced me to investigate the situation of homelessness in London, another financial capital of the world where people from across the globe flock to for safety, security and prosperity.

The night started at 9pm with the pouring rain, where I found a high street store with an entrance big enough for me to lie in but was not completely out of view of the public roaming the streets. As I watched hundreds of citizens and tourists pass by counting each one, giving them a smile, I began to wonder why they didn’t engage me in conversation or ask why I was homeless. It felt as if I was stereotyped by the public as a lower class citizen not worthy of interaction or concern. Although I am a university degree student I was seen as just another low-life because of the situation I was in. I did not sleep all night and if I tried, I was woken and alarmed by any footsteps which would startle me. I was in a position on the floor where I felt extremely vulnerable and frightened that I could be easily attacked and it would be difficult for me to defend myself although I have a black belt in martial arts. The environment seemed deadly and dangerous where all morals and humanity was absent leaving hostility in the cold, crisp air.

A recent survey showed that Londoners and New Yorkers have an awareness of the poverty and homelessness around them but now we need to turn that awareness into action. This experience opened my eyes to the hidden world of the homeless who are disregarded and forgotten by society because of the stigma attached to them. I realised that I personally could not live in that situation for an extended period of time because of the amount of pain, anxiety and fear one goes through to survive which is daily battle. The sleep and food deprivation is difficult enough without the constant threat of being attack, it becomes unbearable and debilitating.

Another aspect of homelessness I put myself through was begging for money to eat breakfast at 6am. This was a confidence crushing experience which took away any self-esteem I had because of the way people treated me. I gave up begging after the first few people laughed at my situation which was highly embarrassing and destroyed my self-worth and dignity.

The Holy Quran says:

"If you give alms openly, it is well and good; but if you conceal them and give them to the poor, it is better for you" [Holy Quran, 2:272]

Although I only underwent one night homeless which cannot be compared to a lifetime on the streets I understood the issues and hurdles these people face on a daily basis and how hard it is to better their lives. With this understanding I have been campaigning for the homeless living on our doorsteps in London and across the world.

WATCH:



The Ahmadiyya Post, UK. By Zubair Ahmed. Oct 23rd 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.